- Title of the Practice
Extension Activity ‘Vidnyan Jagar’
- To inculcate scientific temper among citizens and revels facts through science
- Enhance interest in the science among students in order to retain quality human resource
- Objectives of the Practice
Objectives of Practice:
- Development of scientific temper among students and citizens.
- Organization of quiz, model, essay, poster competitions for school and college students.
- To arrange scientific lectures slide shows etc. for society
- To arrange exhibition of scientific experiments in which nearby school students avail laboratory space and college students who works as a volunteer can understand the basic concept through experiential learning.
- Organization of DES-INSPIRE Camp for 11th std students with main intention to expose them to the excitement and methods of science, research and innovation in order to attract and retain them in the field of basic science.
- The Context
- College is situated in the educationally backward area. Schools in the vicinity lack laboratory facilities. College organise exhibition of the experiments based on school science syllabus. During the visit students get hands on exposure to innovative, informative, interactive and interest creating experiments and also learn scientific principles and laws. This exhibition is open to all citizens.
- To attract and retain quality human resource in the field of basic science and research is an important issue of the present days. To address this problem we are targeting students of 11th science classes of junior colleges in Dapoli and adjoining tehsils. Every year college organise DES-INSPIRE camp on parallel theme of DST-INSPIRE on its own cost. It is intended to expose the students to the excitement and methods of science, research and innovation, just prior to the time when they make their career decisions in the field of basic science and research.
- The Practice
Vidnyan Jagar is yearly practice under which following activities are conducted
- ‘Vidnyan Jagar’ Exhibition
This exhibition is organized on the theme ‘To reveal and understand scientific principle through laboratory experiments.’ College students demonstrate each experiment and exhibit during exhibition. This helps the students to understand basic principles and concepts of the subject through experiential learning. Students of invited schools perform experiments and see exhibits mentioned in their science syllabus. Local peoples who are visiting the exhibition understand basic scientific terms and themes.
- Model, Essay and Poster competition for students
Model, essay and poster competitions were organized for school students of Dapoli. Model competition is based on scientific principle whereas essay and poster competitions are based on different scientific topics.
Interschool and inter junior college quiz competition are organized. Single team of every school and junior college participate in the quiz. Winner and runner up team was rewarded with prizes.
- Organization of lectures and Hands on sessions
Lectures and slide shows are arranged in order to translate recent developments in the science and also to prepare scientifically literate human resource. Eminent personalities are called for lectures and also for hands on sessions.
DES – INSPIRE:
DES-INSPIRE INTERNSHIP CAMP is organised every year with due logistic and monitory support of Dapoli Education Society (DES) for students of 11th Science standard. The activity is based on theme of DST-INSPIRE (Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research) to attract and retain large number of students in basic science and to promote research in basic science. This camp includes lectures of eminent educationalist & researchers, practical sessions, hands on sessions like making of scientific models / toys etc. Resource persons for lectures and hands on sessions are invited from reputed institutes. Some of them are listed below. Students of 11th science from junior colleges located in Dapoli, Khed and Mandangad tehsils are benefited by this activity.
|Name of Resource Person||Topic|
|Professor Vishwas. A. Bapat
Shivaji University, Kolhapur
|Highlights of Recent Research in Biotechnology|
|Dr. Raju Pawale
Department of Mathematics
University of Mumbai
|Problem Solving Strategies|
|Dr. Uday Desai
Department of Chemistry
Shivaji University, Kolhapur
|Promotion of Research and Innovation|
(Founder Director IISER Pune)
|Opportunities in Basic Sciences|
|Dr. Apurva Barve
|Bacteria for Mandate|
|Dr. Ashok Rupner
|Making of Scientific Models (Hands on Session)|
|R. D. Kawathekar
Pendharkar College Dombivali
| Making of Scientific Toys (Hands on Session)
- Evidence of Success
Success of this practice is measured on following grounds
- Feedback of participating school students: Formal feedback of exhibition, competition and INSPIRE is collected.
- Feedback for Exhibition: All visiting students happily submit their feedback as majority of students have never visited the laboratory before. They get chance to perform the experiments which are the part of their curriculum. Also they understand concepts and principles of various science subjects through exhibits and interactive experiments.
- Feedback for INSPIRE: From feedback it reveals that INSPIRE camp is highly benefited for students. This camp not only enhances their understanding and knowledge, but motivates them to make career in basic science. One of the INSPIRE candidate obtained his career path in basic science after H.S.C. due to motivation through INSPIRE.
- Feedback from School Teachers: Paprticipant teachers shared that every year their students are excited and eagerly waiting for exhibition and INSPIRE Camp.
- Feedback from Public: Local public is also curious about exhibition. The exhibition adds new scientific information every year.
- Experience of Organizing Students: Organising students develop several skills such as leadership, teamwork, public speaking, social communication etc.
- Problems Encountered and Resources Required
Please identify the problems encountered and resources required to implement the practice (in about 150 words).
- All the activities of this practice are of large scale and hence required more human resource and financial resource. Human resource is available in the form of college students but to mobilize funds for these activities is a herculean task.
- For DES-INSPIRE camp, Dapoli Education Society provid finance but which is not meeting with the expenses incurred.
- All these activities required more man hours and which find difficult to invest by students and faculties in this semester based examination system.
- These are sustained activities and hence every year there is search of new ideas for exhibition and new resource persons for INSPIRE in order to maintain novelty in the activities.
- Enthusiastic Human Resource
- Financial Resource
- Incubation of innovative ideas
- Well Learned Faculty Resource for INSPIRE
- Logistic Support
But till date on overcoming problems and generating resources this activity is successfully and popularly organized every year.